Monday, August 15, 2016

Week 2 August 8 – August 14

Monday: 5 mile run. After a long day at work I needed a nice long run to release my endorphins. I like to run my first mile nice and slow and get progressively faster each mile. Started off with a 9:19 mile and ended with a 8:40 mile!

Tuesday: Rest day

Wednesday: Rock climbing and a 4.10 mile run. Today was a L and Robyn bonding day. I took the her to the rock gym for some bouldering and sport climbing fun. I have been trying to get back in climbing shape and it was exciting to send my first V2+ today after weeks of only sending V1s. It was also very fun belaying the L and helping her send all the climbs she attempted! After I got home from work I fell asleep until 7 pm… I was so mad at myself for sleeping the afternoon away that I decided I needed to run until the sun set. I ended up running a 4 mile tempo run, which was the workout I was supposed to do!

Thursday: Rest day

Friday: 5k easy pace. Let the rain fall down and ruin my run! As I was leaving my house for my run the skies opened; thunder and lightning taunted me as I remained locked up in my house. I did not have it in me to run on the treadmill so I waited for the thunder and lightning to stop before running in the rain! I may not like running in the rain, but I only have seven weeks to train so I have to run no matter what mother nature throws my way.
*I will only run in the rain if it is not thunder storming. Safety first!!

Saturday: 5 mile run. With temperatures in the high nineties and a heat index of over 105 degrees just standing outside today was miserable. There was no break from the heat even around 7:00 pm. I told myself to Spartan Up, go out and run to the best of your abilities because you cannot control the weather on race day so why get used to trying to control it in training!

SundaySunday: Life happens… My younger brother and I are both leaving for college next week! He goes to Temple University. My parents planned on moving him in gradually, since Temple is about a half hour away from our home. Today they wanted to put together all his furniture and then move the rest of his stuff in later next week. Not to brag or anything but I have some serious IKEA furniture building skills, so I was recruited to come along and help get all the furniture built and arranged today! I decided to be a good sister and help, but this got in the way of my scheduled run. The heat wave had yet to pass and temperatures again were in the high nineties with a heat index of over 105 degrees. By the time we were done building all the furniture (I put together half of his stuff) the heat had taken its toll on me. We got home around 3 in the afternoon, I had a massive headache and all I wanted to do was lie down. I am not a big napper these days (even though I took 2 naps this week), but the moment my head hit the pillow I was out (I mean OUT); I didn’t get up till dinner time around 6:30 pm, but at least I was feeling a lot better. While I was feeling much better I knew I had probably missed my opportunity to run — my Dad’s birthday is this week and he wanted to celebrate a little early since we would be all kinds of stressed this week with both my brother and I moving. We ordered in from one of our favorite Italian places and then went out for fro-yo! So far in my training I have not missed a run. I have always found a way to run no matter what was going on. Today I was faced with making a choice of whether to run or spend some quality family time before I leave for college. My training may not be perfect, but I have plenty of experience adjusting “perfect” plans to work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment