Saturday, May 13, 2017

Broad Street Run Race Recap

Running is a huge part of my life. I run 4 to 5 times a week, I have way too many running shoes, when I am not running I am reading running magazines and blogs, I journal about each and every run I go on, and I have a running Instagram account where I follow more runners. However, if you had met me last year around this time you would have had no idea that I love to run. That is because I did not even know how much I loved running. In high school I ran track, but I wouldn't say and I loved running. I failed as a Division 1 field hockey player because of how much anxiety I had over running. But then I registered for the Philadelphia Marathon. It was the week of the 2016 Broad Street Run, the week I moved back home for the summer having just ended my Junior year at the University of Pittsburgh. That is when I began running. I watched the local news coverage of the 2016 Broad Street Run and remembered thinking how miserable it must have been running in the pouring rain. The Broad Street Run is the largest 10-mile road race in the country, and is most definitely a staple of Philadelphia-area running. Thanks to my Dad, who entered my brother, himself, and I in the Broad Street lottery, I was going to get the chance to add another landmark race. Ever since we got into the race I was anticipating two exciting weekends in a row: my graduation followed by Broad Street.

It has been one year since I watched the famous Philadelphia race and began seriously running again. In just one short year I can proudly say I have run in Pittsburgh’s largest 10-miler and the Philadelphia marathon. I have moved back home from the University of Pittsburgh for one final time with a Bachelors Degree in Communication and a full time job, which I will start in June. I have accomplished a lot in the past year. The best way I could celebrate my one year running anniversary and college graduation than with the nations largest 10-mile road race!

Because my Mom was not coming to the race, she broke her toe the day before… We had to get up super early to get to the train station, catch the train, and check our bags. I ate some French toast sticks and hydrated. We caught the train and got to Olney station with about an hour before the start of the race (with my race bib – see Marathon Blog Post). We checked our bags and made our way to the corrals. I hung out with my dad and brother for a little bit. I tried to give them some advice about running the 10 mile distance and big road races before heading up to my corral, which was much closer to the start.
 
Dad and I before the race!
Elliot and I before the race
I was having some digestive issues and I was not feeling to great as I made my way to the purple corral. I ditched my throw away layers once I made it into my corral and did some dynamic stretching to get warmed up. At 8:00 am the Elites started and just a few minutes later I was crossing the start line!

Miles 1-2
I was excited to start the race, my legs felt fresh and I was hoping I could run off my stomach pain. Unfortunately, I could not and after the first mile I had to stop at the porta potty.
Splits: 7:53 and 9:25

Miles 3-5
I knew I had lost time during mile 2, but I did not let that affect my race plan. I tried to keep my pace around a 7:40 until I reached the halfway point.
Splits: 7:37, 7:40, 7:50

Miles 6 and 7 flew by. I was a little disappointed that the course did not go through City Hall and the course actually had turns since it is advertised as a straight course. I spent a good portion of these miles joking around with myself about the false advertising.
Splits: 7:40 and 7:42

Miles 8-10
I was feeling great at the 8-mile mark, but for some reason I did not push myself to my limits. I maintained my steady pace until I reached the final quarter mile sign. I tried to sprint to the finish, but the course was really congested making it hard to finish in an all out sprint.
Splits: 7:47, 7:41, 7:41

I finished the race in a time of 1:19:22 knocking 5 minutes off my 10-mile PR! Although I did not push myself to my breaking point I ran a race that I am proud of. I did not let the little bump in the road prevent me from running a sub 1:20:00 10-miler!

I got my medal and made my way through the finishers area as quickly as I could so I could make my way back to the finish line to see my dad finish. After waiting around for 40 minutes or so, my dad came barreling through in his bright yellow shirt and huge smile on his face! I could not have been any prouder of seeing my dad finish his first big road race with a smile and a PR!
Found the finish!

We ended up having to walk a mile or so back to the subway, which felt like the longest walk ever. I was hungry and I was beginning to crash. We made it back to the train and got on the smelliest subway car ever! Pack a bunch of sweaty runners in a train car and you will feel sick from the stench. The train ride felt long, but it was nice to finally sit and snack on some of the post race goodies we received. After the train we said our goodbyes to Elliot because he was heading back to the train to go back to Temple. My dad and I headed home as the rain started. Thank god we beat the rain. I may love running, but I still am not a huge fan of the rain!

I am so happy that I can finally say that I have run in the nations largest 10 miler and Philadelphia’s most famous race!


Running has become something that I love to do, I love to talk about, and that has changed me as a person. I started running to prove to myself that I could run a marathon. That quickly transformed into running becoming a stress reliever, a social activity, time to spend with my father, and a mood booster. I learned how to manage expectations, set realistic goals, and work towards being the best me! As I look towards the future I see boundless paths to run and opportunities to explore!

1 comment:

  1. Omg I wish I could have ran with you in Pittsburgh! Congrats on your Broad street run!! Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete