Thursday, September 8, 2016

My Spartan Story


In the beginning of March of last year my brother texted my family group chat asking about doing a Spartan race with his friends. I did not know much about Spartan other than watching a little bit of the Spartan World Championships on NBC a few years ago; from what I saw on TV the race took athletes up and down a mountain filled with crazy obstacles designed to defeat even the toughest competitors. Although I thought my brother was crazy for even entertaining one of these races I also thought it might be a fun way to begin my journey to run a marathon in November. Road running can become monotonous and boring very quickly, but I needed to build a strong base mileage this summer before my marathon training kicked into high gear. I decided it was time for me to learn learn why someone would be tempted to run in a race specifically designed to defeat them.
When I began researching Spartan race I found that obstacle course racing (OCR) was a new emerging sport with many different types of races to choose from. OCR is a diverse sport and I believe EVERYONE can find the right type of race to suit their personal goals. I found that the two biggest names in OCR are Tough Mudder and Spartan Race. Tough Mudder is not necessarily a race, rather it is a challenge that invites athletes to team up and conquer a 10 to12 mile course littered with obstacles reminiscent of those found on reality shows like Fear Factor, Wipeout, and American Ninja Warrior. There are three main types of Spartan races: The Sprint 3 + miles with 20 + obstacles, the Super 8 + miles with 25 + obstacles, and the Beast is 12 + miles with 30 + obstacles. If you fail to complete an obstacle Spartan throws another one your way in the form of the mandatory 30-burpee penalty for unsuccessfully completing the obstacle. While I think the Tough Mudder provides a physical and mental challenge I did not want to participate in a race in which I would be electrocuted (I was and am still not ready to conquer my fear of electrocution!) This made my decision to sign up for a Spartan even easier since my brother was already running a Spartan race this July and I knew that there were no electrocution obstacles on the Spartan circuit.
When I went to register for the race on my brother’s team I found out he never actually did anything further with Spartan other than asking my parents to do it. Like many people my brother likes to talk about doing things, but he never seems to actually do what he says he is going to do. For about 2 weeks I was begging my Pitt friends and I was on my brother’s case to rally his friends to sign up so we would have a team—I read a lot of blog posts recommending to run your first Spartan race with a team. After all, if you are going to suffer it might as well be with friends who can help lighten the mood and motivate you to end the suffering by conquering the course! Eventually my best friend Taylor and Elliot’s best friend Aidan registered and we officially had a team! We originally planned to do the sprint, but since I was using this race to build my base mileage I thought the Super would be better bang for my buck. I know it might have been a little selfish of me, but I convinced my teammates that the super would be more of an accomplishment. If we were going to actually do this we might as well go for the gold and do the longest most grueling course that Spartan was offering that weekend. If there was a beast offered that weekend I probably would have been crazy enough to try that!
It might have taken some time to get registered, but by the beginning of May I was ready to begin training my body and mind for the Palmerton Spartan Super on July 16th. I decided that I would try to run at least four days a week so that I would be consistently building my base mileage and maintain my cardio endurance. I also tried to follow the free Spartan workouts that were emailed to me everyday. I sprinkled in some hiking and biking and by the time race day came I felt ready.
The morning of my race was very exciting and nerve-racking. My teams start time was at 10:15 am, but we arrived at Blue Mountain well over an hour beforehand in order to park, check in, and hopefully see the elite men jump the fire and cross the finish line! We
Might not be the perfect picture, but meeting 
Hunter was something I will never forget
made perfect time and were able to check in, take pre-race pictures, and be one of the first groups of people to line up at the finish line to cheer on first wave of elite finishers! Ryan Atkins proved once again that he is one of the best in the business claiming another first place finish in the NBC Spartan Championship series. Current Spartan Race world champion Robert Killian took second and my favorite Spartan racer Hunter McIntyre took third. I admire all three of these men, especially Hunter. I am a huge fan of his TV series Boundless and was really inspired by his story, so when he walked by me I froze and was unable to congratulate him on all his success. Thank god my mom was there because she called Hunter over; because of her outgoing personality I got to meet and talk to him about Boundless, The Spartan Ultimate Team Challenge, and I got to thank him for inspiring me to realize my full potential as an athlete and person with ADHD (I will elaborate more on my ADHD and athletics story in a future post). Seeing the elite men finish and meeting Hunter made me even more hype to actually get out on the course and Spartan Up!
At 10:15 sharp our heat was called over the start wall to begin our Spartan journey. My heat happened to be a special heat because defending Palmerton Spartan Super champ and Spartan Pro Team member Amelia Boone would be racing on crutches alongside Spartan Race Pro Team Adaptive Athlete Amanda Sullivan Love. Both of these women are amazing athletes and knowing they were running in my heat made the day even more special; if these women could do it on crutches I sure as heck had no excuses to complain about what obstacles and terrain I would be facing! We yelled the Spartan pre-race chant and then we were off and climbing our first hill of the day!
After four hours and forty minutes of tortuous fun my teammates and I jumped the fire and finished our first Spartan Race. When I crossed the finish line I finally understood Spartans moto “You’ll know at the finish line.” I did not run the Palmerton Spartan Super to compete with the elite athletes that I saw on TV a few years ago, I ran to compete against myself. I ran to show myself that I was capable of conquering any challenge put in my way. I may have missed the spear throw, the monkey bars, the ape hang, and the rig (I clearly need to work more on my grip strength), but I did not shy away from completing my 30
Looking strong and falling in style!
burpees every time I may have failed. When I crossed the finish line after 8.2 miles and 32 obstacles with a smile on my face I knew that this would be the first of many finishes to come in this OCR journey that I call life! I now know that I am capable of running up and down a mountain that I am used to snowboarding, I am capable of pushing myself to keep going even when my mind is telling me to stop, I am capable of motivating not only myself but my friends and strangers to be the best they can be, I am capable of putting together and following a plan to reach my goals. I might not be an elite athlete standing on top of the podium, but that doesn’t change the fact that I AM SPARTAN! 

I plan on continuing my Spartan journey next year with the goal of completing my first  trifecta. My first race of the 2017 season will be the Ohio Beast on May 20th! I hope to return to Palmerton next year with my teammates and maybe even add a few new Spartans to our team (I am looking at you Dad)!! AROO! AROO! AROO!

   



No comments:

Post a Comment